Small Group Questions – Heavenly Dwelling (NLOL Week 6)
In your group share stories of when you slept in a tent.
1. Chat about what you think eternity will be like for us Christ followers when we die.
2. What insights do you have out of these verses?
3. What are the 3 metaphors Paul uses for our earthly body? Discuss what each metaphor brings to your understanding.
4. “Groaning”, “longing” and “burdened” are terms Paul uses to show the reality of our temporary, fragile, mortal earthly bodies. Share with the group you identify with any or all of these feelings? Why do you think Paul uses these terms?
5. In your understanding, how will the situation be different when a Christian dies, compared to when Christ returns? Revelation 20 – 21 and 1 Thessalonians 4 are some Biblical passages to give insights here.
6. The Holy Spirit is given as a deposit (v5). What might this mean, and why does it matter? What is the role of the Holy Spirit in our world and on our lives now? The Message interprets the text as follows: “We’ve been given a glimpse of the real thing, our true home, our resurrection bodies! The Spirit of God whets our appetite by giving us a taste of what’s ahead. He puts a little of heaven in our hearts so that we’ll never settle for less.”
7. We are not in heaven yet. Share some of the glimpses you have had of heaven in your own life experiences.
Read 2 Corinthians 6-9. What impacts you out of those verses?
8. While we are alive on earth we need to be continually growing in faith. What helps you to grow in faith? Why and how does Paul seek to please God? Why and how do you seek to please God?
9. What are some ways that your faith has been fuelled over your life and specifically very recently?
Read 2 Corinthians 5:10 Remember there are 2 judgements: One is for everyone regarding their eternal destiny, the other is the judgement of works for believers (this is 5:10) Jesus wants this time to be one of celebration and reward. What are some ways you can prepare for this time before Christ?
10. There are different understandings on many aspects of life after death, yet there is much mystery. What do we KNOW to be true regarding life after death for us?Listen to the message »
May 21, 2018
May 17, 2018